Adventures of the Mr. and Mrs. buying a house… and creating a home

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Making a Splash!

We're still plugging away folks!  And GUESS WHAT!?!?!  We are about two weeks out from actually MOVING IN!  Super excited!

Last week, we put the final touches on in our kitchen.  We picked out our backsplash and had it installed by our fabulous tile setter, Miguel!

It took awhile for us to pick our backsplash.  When we started house hunting (a year ago), we saw lots of flipped houses with mosaic tile backsplashes.  The photo below is a house we looked at (however, it was way out of our price range!)  Notice the tile backsplash.


I really loved the backsplash look and was sure that we would install the same in our future home.  However, when it actually came time to make our final choice, I started having second thoughts.  Although, I love the mosaic look, I had a gut feeling (you knows those feelings that just won't leave ya alone?!) that it was a bit trendy and that in ten years time, I would regret having mosaic tiles.  Who knows.  Maybe I would still love it, maybe I would hate it.

I had people say to me, "Just re-do it when you get sick of it".  Although that's a fun idea, I don't know where our finances will be in ten years... and I always try to make decisions that are long-term and financially wise.  That's just how my penny-pinching brain works!!  Anyhow, now that I have given you insight to the workings of my brain.... I'll show you what we decided on!

I started looking for a black-splash that would match well with our dark wood floors, multi-colored granite, white cupboards, taupe walls .  I wanted something that would blend nicely and not steal the stage.
 I ended up finding a 6" square tile that has a Tuscan look and matches perfectly with our color scheme.

 Since we decided on a safe, neutral tile, Nick and I thought it would dress it up to have the tiles set in a diamond formation.

                                I loved watching the tile setters work.  Such precision!

Waiting for the grout to dry!

The finished product!  

Both of us are thrilled with the finished product.  It is classic and beautiful!  

P.S.- There is a little part of me that still wants some mosaic tile somewhere in my house... maybe one day in my laundry room or something!





2 comments: