Adventures of the Mr. and Mrs. buying a house… and creating a home

Friday, July 27, 2012

And The Wall Came Tumbling Down

My husband is incredibly handy.  He knows how to fix pretty much everything... sinks, electronics, appliances... you name it.  When we started the home searching process, he assured me that we could handle a fixer-upper.  The whole concept of"fixer-upper" just really isn't in my nature.  I like pretty, nice, clean, and NEW.  

Here was the issue.  I like pretty, nice, clean, and new.... but I also had certain ideas of where I wanted to live and what type of area. I only wanted to live in the Bennett Valley area. I also wanted a good size yard and a safe, friendly neighborhood.  Bennett Valley doesn't have any new construction because it is a fairly established area.  My "wants" weren't all lining up. 

This is where my handy husband comes in.  As we hunted, he would explain what we could do to various houses to make them "new", and "pretty", and "lovely".   At first I was skeptical.  It wasn't that I didn't think he could do it, I just couldn't visualize it as easily as he could.

The first time we walked into the house that is now ours, I looked around and turned my nose up.  Orange carpets, gross.  Wallpaper and gold light fixtures, yuck.  Nick walked in and he saw something very different: POTENTIAL.  He saw: scrape popcorn, paint walls, new flooring, update kitchen/bathroom.... PERFECT.

We went home that night and talked and dreamed.  He drew pictures for me of what we could do to make it lovely.  The next time we went to see it again, I could visualize it.   Sometimes things just need a little love to make it how you want it.  In the process, you make it YOURS.  The best part is.... you do it the way you want it!  I fell in love with that idea!!

Thank the Lord for my husband's ability to see through the yuck and see potential instead.  

Last Friday, he had a half day at work.  He was excited to be off early so that he could start the process.  Here are some photos of what he did that day.  Pretty exciting to see the process moving forward!!  A more few weeks and it will all be our PERFECT!!

BEFORE: We wanted to take down this wall that separates the kitchen and formal dining room.  We like homes that feel open and spacious. 
Half day project!!  Nick tore down the sheet rock and starting planning the large opening in between the kitchen and dining room.
                                              Doesn't it already feel more open?! 

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I totally understand this post. That's how I look at homes and things.....pretty, nice, and NEW!! Awesome that Nick could have a vision and share it with you, so that you can also see what you both can make of your 1st new home. We are so happy for you both, and excited to see your new home someday.

    You are CORRECT, you have an awesome family, and are truly blessed from above!!!

    love you both, and hope to see you soon!!

    anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Auntie Anna! We can't wait to show our home to everyone :) Maybe next summer when you guys come to the lake, you'll have to take a detour in Santa Rosa! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete