Adventures of the Mr. and Mrs. buying a house… and creating a home

Monday, August 27, 2012

Heart of the Home


kitch·en/ˈkiCHən/

Noun:
  1. A room or area where food is prepared and cooked.
  2. A set of fixtures, cabinets, and appliances that are sold together and installed in such a room or area.
Ever since moving out of home for college, I found a love for cooking and creating delicious meals.  My love of cooking is something that definitely runs in the family.  I come from a long line of women (and men) who are fabulous cooks!

That being said, I am thrilled to have my very own kitchen.  I can decorate, paint, and set it up however I want!  Our new house had a very 70's style kitchen.  Yellow tile counters with thick brown grout, dark wood cabinets, and outdated linoleum.  

Since we had so many updating projects, we had to pick and choose what our priorities were.  The rock fireplace, master bath, and flooring were the must-do's.  Although the kitchen is extrememly dated, there are things that we can do in order to update it without having to start from scratch.   

Our long-term plan is to do a complete kitchen remodel in the next 5-10 years.  (Broad range, I know... but I figure it's better to think loonnnng term and then have it happen sooner and be pleasantly surprised!)  When I say "complete remodel", I mean, custom cabinets, granite counters, all new appliances, lighting, and a large island.

Here is the kitchen.  Everything is in good, working condition; it's just not our style.  We decided to make some cosmetic changes until we do the full remodel.  

We took the cabinet doors and shelves out.  The inside and outside of all cupboards and shelves will be painted white.  It is going to really freshen and brighten up the whole kitchen.

  The man painting is Mike (one of my Dad's awesome employees).   We were thankful that he was willing to work on a Saturday and lend us his professional painting skills.  He used an oil based paint rather than water-based, which gives an overall nicer look. 

Day one of painting complete.  This is just the primer level.  They will go back over everything with paint later this week.  Doesn't it already feel different and BETTER?!

I had my Dad paint the rim of the light box for us too.  We are waiting to do recessed lighting the kitchen because of the future remodel.  No point in putting new lighting in now when the entire kitchen is going to change.  Even though I don't light that light box, painting it makes it's so much better for the time being!
This is what it looked like before!  The white paint helps it to blend in much better.

Obviously, we have a lot of work left in the kitchen!  Hope you are enjoying see the PROCESS along the way to the final product!



No comments:

Post a Comment