Adventures of the Mr. and Mrs. buying a house… and creating a home

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My Home Sweet Home

What is your favorite place in your home?  Mine is a toss up between our family room and kitchen!  Perhaps it's because I spend majority of my time in these two rooms.  

I enjoy being in our family room for several reasons.  First off, it is very cozy and comfortable; I enjoy curling up with an over-sized pillow and blanket on rainy days like today!  I can read a book, watch something trashy like The Bachelor, grade papers, or take a power nap. Secondly, it's a place where Nick and I can put our feet up and connect after a long day at work.  Lastly, our family room is the perfect mix of Nick's and my style.  It is cozy, inviting, and warm; yet, it has a contemporary, sleek, no-clutter feel. 

Most of our home furnishing purchases over the past few months have been for our family room.  We bought a sectional couch from Costco (I tutored all last summer and saved every penny so that we could purchase a quality couch without feeling it in our bank accounts!), a large rug, and a coffee table.  The various furniture pieces that we accumulated from the first two years of our marriage are scattered among the house, in an effort to fill in the large, empty rooms!

Here are some pictures of our family room.  Since I the queen of disclaimers, here you go:  

1) The walls are bare!  Don't judge.  I am SLOWLY looking for pieces that I love and can afford. 

2) Yes, those blinds definitely kill me.  Dual pane windows and plantation shutters are in my near future.  Not sure what "near future" means in this case! 

3) My mantel is currently a hodge-podge of items.  I am in the process of framing a large photo from our wedding which will likely find it's home on our mantel.  Until then, it's a fantastic catch-all!

 View of the family room from the kitchen.  I love the open concept feel.  Whether you are in the kitchen or family room, you feel as though you are in the same room.  This is especially nice when I am cooking!

                       The closed door leads you into the indoor laundry room.  

Our new couch is massive!  Nick and I joke that we feel like we are sitting miles away from each other.  I like to claim that cozy corner right in the center of the couch!

Eventually, Nick would like to mount the TV on the wall.  For now, he is enjoying weekends that don't involve too many tools!

                                                                         Cozy!

                                     The view from the family room into the kitchen.  

Thanks for checking out my new favorite space!  Sometimes I look at this house and I have to pinch myself!  It is truly my "home sweet home".







1 comment: